A natural disaster or a pandemic can happen at any time. Being prepared can be the difference between life and death. Here are some ways to protect yourself.
- Find out what natural or human caused disasters pose a risk for you.
- Do you live in an area prone to flood, earthquakes, or wild fire?
Develop a Disaster Plan
The plan needs to include:
- Where everyone should meet if you have to leave the area
- List of emergency contacts
- What to do if you can not get in contact with someone
- Make sure everyone has a copy of it. It may be best to email it to everyone so it can be stored and easily accessible.
Practice Your Plan
Your plan is worthless if you do not practice it. Therefore, make it your goal to practice your plan at twice a year. How can you do this?
- Have everyone go through the plan one by one to ensure no details are missed
- Play out scenarios that may happen such as someone hasn’t arrived yet at your meet area or what to do if you forgot a phone number.
- Discuss and view maps and different evacuation procedures and routes in your area.
Get a to-go/bug out bag
When you need to evacuate quickly or even bunker in place you will need essential items to stay safe and healthy. Some of these items are extra clothing, food, water, first aid kits, matches, reflectors, medications, and cash.
As we have seen from this pandemic do not forget facial protection as well such as masks!